Tuesday, June 25, 2013

The Black Sea Coast

I just returned from 3 nights in Constanţa  Romania's primary port on the Black Sea. According to what I have read, Constanţa is the oldest attested human settlement in Romania, dating back about 2600 years. During the Roman period, Constanţa is known as Tomis, perhaps best known for being the place to which the poet Ovid was banished. The primary square of Constanţa is named for Ovid and features a statue of him.



Like in Galaţi, there is also a replica of the Capitoline Wolf.


The archaeology museum, features a good collection of Roman, Greek, and other artifacts. Though, like most of the other museums I have been to in Romania, I did not find it particularly well curated. 










More exciting was the Roman Edifice and Mosaic adjacent to the museum. Its always wonderful to see well preserved artifacts presented in sedes







I stayed in Mamaia, which is a resort town situated on an isthmus wedged between the Sea and Siutghiol Lake and connecting Constanţa to Năvodari  My room had a view of the lake, and it was just a short walk across the street to the Black Sea.






I enjoyed the beach quite a lot. It was especially refreshing since the lat few days have been incredible warm in Romania. You can walk about 30 feet out to sea with the water only rising waist height. The water was warm and felt great. The beach is crowded from sunrise to sunset, which is not until around 9 pm this time of year at this longitude. 

Everything in Constanţa is far more expensive than it is in Galaţi,  especially food. I did discover one of my new favorite items of street food, though, fried anchovies (hamsie in Romanian). They are served with salt and crushed garlic and made a great snack at 2 lei a serving from numerous vendors.


Among the other dishes I tried in Constanţa as something described as "Romanian lamb dish," which was marinated lamb served with mămăliga (polenta) and about the most potent garlic sauce I Have encountered, and a dish of friend squid and mussels.



Mamaia has a airborne gondola covering about half of the isthmus. It goes a couple hundred feet int he air and presents great views of the surrounding area.






Other pictures:








It was very noticeable how much better infrastructure is in Constanţa than in Galaţi and much the rest of Romania I have seen. Roads are far better maintained and the city was very easy to navigate. 

Today I am in the office, and then tonight its off to the airport for a few days in Munich, Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment