Thursday, June 13, 2013

Chinese Food in Galaţi

(Also posted to my food blog: cenarela.blogspot.com)

Last night I visited a Chinese restaurant a few block from my apartment. I was anxious to see what Chinese food would be like in a remote city in Romania. Would it be more like the mostly dreadful Americanized Chinese found on the the West Side of Los Angeles, or more like the authentic fare found in the San Gabriel Valley? Here are the dishes we tried:


Beef and broccoli. I did not try this but was told that it was pretty close to what you expect from the same dish served in the United States. A note: Romanians don't eat much beef. Outside of the the Chinese restaurant, I've only seen it in soups. I was told that the reason for this is that cows are usually reserved for dairy in Romania and are not slaughtered until they are older and the meat is past prime.


Chicken with wood ear mushroom. The mushroom weren't overly flavorful, but the light gravy was good. 


Chicken and vegetable soup. I am not sure exactly what was in this, but I thought it had a very good and authentic flavor profile. 


This was my entree. It was described as pork in a spicy sauce with rice noodles. It was not very spice, though that is understandable given the Romanian palette. I will have to ask for extra spicy next time. At first I  was not a huge fan, but eating the pork and the noodles together was very effective. Good flavor and texture.

The restaurant beat my expectations. I am sure I will be back there a couple of times. Next time I will have to try the seafood or lamb dishes. There are also one more Chinese place and a Vietnamese restaurant in Galaţi I will have to sample. 

Work has become much busier this week. We are fully in the midst of the Black Sea Project. I have been writing informational pamphlets and press releases about the project and about civic engagement. 

My plans for this weekend have changed. Constanţa and the Black Sea Coast will be next weekend. Instead this weekend I am visiting Crama Dobrogeana winery in Măcin about 45 minutes from Galaţi for a tour, tasting, and lunch.




No comments:

Post a Comment